Extra Spells of Interest
I promised myself that fifty spells would be my limit when it comes to full write-ups. . .but I figured I might as well also put up a page with some quick notes on spells that do exist in this universe, but won't get the full spellbook treatment.
Take On Beast's Form
Take On Beast's Form
- What does it do?: Transforms the caster into an animal! Most casters stick with mammals, but a few high-level ones can pull off oversized versions of birds. Relatedly, this is the only way one can become a "werewolf" in this world -- bites do not transmit spell effects! They just hurt.
- What does it need?: A token from the animal you have in mind (fur, feathers, tooth, etc) and something you can wear to trigger the transformation (some traditionalists combine the two via pelts; most modern people use some form of jewelry)
- How does it work?: Combine token with wearable, put on wearable, concentrate really really hard until wearable glows and token is consumed. Some people say that being outdoors, or in the light of the moon, helps. The wearable should be good for a couple of transformations after the spell takes, and it's actually relatively easy to permanently enchant them.
- What does it do?: Allows the caster to leave their body temporarily! The caster basically appears as a ghost in a soft pearly gray, able to walk through walls and float at will. Great if you need to scope out an area without needing to touch much in it.
- What does it need?: A sheer piece of cloth that has been in a graveyard -- veils from funeral hats work great
- How does it work?: The caster sits or lays down, presses the cloth over their face, and breathes through it at least three times while concentrating. Once the spell takes, they have half a hour to wander about at will.
- What does it do?: Changes the caster's gender from their default to whatever they had in mind (generally it's the straight male/female swap, but in the modern age you have more variety)! They generally stay about the same height and weight, with haircuts and the like preserved. Clothes may not fit as well afterwards depending on how the spell decides you should look as the other gender, however!
- What does it need?: Something representing the gender you want to try out (generally a picture of same) and a drop of the caster's blood
- How does it work?: The blood is smeared across the gender token as the caster concentrates. You get three hours max once the spell takes to try out your new parts.
- What does it do?: Allows the caster to use an ordinary doll as a miniature assistant in his or her life! The doll can perform most simple tasks, carry up to twice its weight, and automatically float to avoid lengthy climbing. The doll will follow any command it is able to perform. However, when left idle, it can reflect the subconscious desires of the caster, so be aware of what it's up to!
- What does it need?: A doll (natch; china and plastic work better than rag dolls or stuffed animals) and a few drops of the caster's blood
- How does it work?: The caster "feeds" the doll his or her blood by wiping it on or dripping it into the mouth while concentrating. The doll automatically comes to life as the spell takes, with fully-functioning eyes, fingers, and toes (if it has these features). The doll will stay alive for four hours, then need to "rest" for an equal amount of time. The same doll can be used multiple times, though.
- What does it do?: Allows the caster to greatly increase the capacity of any object that can be classed as a "container" (typically a bag or chest, but more unusual things like hats aren't that uncommon). The container becomes capable of carrying 100 pounds of any object that can be fit into the opening without ever weighing more than five. Great for people typically on the move.
- What does it need?: The container in question and a piece of paper folded into a paper accordion.
- How does it work?: The caster opens the paper accordion over whatever constitutes the main opening of the container, then violently shoves or punches it in while concentrating. The paper and container will appear to expand rapidly for a moment as the spell takes, glowing lavender -- then the paper will disappear, and the container shrink back to its regular size. Once this is done, the container can be filled and carried around for a month before needing re-enchanting.